Self-care is a simple concept that has amazing benefits. It helps us feel motivated, happy, productive and fulfilled in our lives. For some, it’s practically unattainable, the sort of thing that comes around once in a blue moon. For others, it’s a top priority. Whether you make time for self-care or not, its value is undeniable. These 30 ways to practice self-care will help you feel more balanced physically, mentally, and spiritually.
We all know that feeling – you’re overwhelmed at work, you have loads of laundry piling up at home, and your calendar is packed with tasks and events. We assume that we are able to multitask, but on the contrary, we’re over-stressed and we lack the focus and motivation required to accomplish simple daily tasks. Chronic stress is known to have a number of negative impacts on our bodies. When we’re stressed, more often than not, self-care is always the first thing to get pushed onto the back burner, and we end up forfeiting the smallest of luxuries, like a massage, a workout, or even some peaceful time alone – because we feel guilty.
As indulgent and selfish the term ‘self-care’ may sound, it’s essential to our personal well-being. Taking care of yourself is not selfish. On the contrary, it means mindfully setting intentions for yourself — having integrity and being honest with yourself and others about your personal needs. It can have a variety of manifestations, which means it’s relatively easy to adapt according to one’s personal needs. It can be as simple as following a clean diet, good quality sleep on a regular basis, exercising regularly, meditating or doing yoga, or simply setting aside time to relax.
These 30 ways to practice self-care are simple, effective, and most of all, attainable!
- Get up 10 minutes early. Enjoy some time alone before everyone wakes up.
- Get regular massages.
- Make a date with yourself. Spend time alone doing something that nourishes your soul.
- Read a self-help book.
- Practise mediation.
- Read, write, or say positive affirmations on a daily basis.
- Paint or write something that lets out your creative energy.
- Disconnect. Go technology-free for an hour, two hours, even an entire day.
- Start journaling on a regular basis.
- Take a quick 10-20 minute nap to recharge.
- Have a long bath or shower.
- Declutter. Clean one area of a room or go through your closet and get rid off old items.
- Take dance lessons.
- Take a brisk walk or run.
- Spend time with close friends.
- Sit outside and listen to the birds or read a book outside.
- Get more sleep. Spray your pillow with lavender essential oil before going to bed. Lay for a few minutes and breathe in the aroma so it relaxes you.
- Make exercise a regular part of your routine.
- Listen to music you enjoy.
- Try a yoga class.
- Buy yourself a small gift—a candle or essential oils to enjoy during your bath.
- Attending a class to learn something new (cooking classes, pottery, etc.).
- Go on a mini-getaway to a new destination.
- Do a Reiki session to balance your chakras and recharge your batteries.
- Get outside. Nature has a way with nurturing the soul.
- Create a vision board for yourself.
- Pay it forward. Do something nice for someone else.
- Connect! Call (not text) a close friend or family member.
- Try a DIY project.
- Learn to say ‘no’. Don’t take on more than you can handle.
Is practicing self-care a top priority for you? What’s your favourite form of self-care?