‘Tis the season for warm, comfort foods. Granola is no exception, especially this homemade coconut chai granola. With nutty coconut, crunchy pumpkin seeds, buttery extra virgin coconut oil and earthy chai spice, this coconut chai granola is packed with flavour and is sure to be a family hit.
We all know that oats are a great source of fiber, which makes them a great whole-grain component of a balanced breakfast, and a healthy way to start the day. As much as my family loves it, I am unfortunately not consistent in terms of how often I prepare it – sometimes it’s once a week, and other times every few months (until I realize how much we all miss it!). Albeit, it involves some patience since it takes a while to cook, but the results outweigh the frequent visits to the kitchen. My suggestion is to make large batches, divvying up the base oat mixture into a few different baking sheets then adding unique flavour combinations, such as matcha and vanilla, chocolate and cherry, and this coconut chai. Granola lasts for such a long time, as long as it’s stored properly to maintain freshness. When I make several batches I store them in Mason jars then line them up on the kitchen shelves with the cereals and let the kids chose which granola flavour they prefer. Granola isn’t just reserved for breakfast – it makes for a wholesome and portable snack food. Which brings me to my new reason why granola so amazing; it’s unbelievably versatile, both in flavour and serving options, like these:
1. Serve over Greek yogurt.
2. Make a parfait by layering the granola with Greek yogurt and fresh berries.
3. Add to cereal for extra crunch and flavour.
4. Use as a topping for frozen yogurt or ice cream.
5. Add into pancake or waffle batter.
6. Mix with other dried nuts, fruits, and seeds.
7. Use as a filling for crepes.
8. You can add extra dried fruit such as dates, raisins, apricots and apples to granola as well as nuts such as slivered almonds.
If you try this recipe (and love it!) be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram with #bitesforfoodies so I can see your creation!