With their creamy consistency and mild flavour chickpeas are an ideal first food for baby. This classic chickpea hummus is not only a crowd-pleaser but also a fantastic source of iron and protein.
Hummus is one of my go-to meals in my recipe repertoire, especially for those busy days when I don’t have the time (or desire) to cook! I quickly whip up a batch of this creamy chickpea hummus and serve it in a variety of ways.
Although this recipe varies from the traditional one, it still has that same creamy texture. The addition of tart Greek yogurt adds an extra bite and creaminess, as well as a healthy dose of calcium, and the ground cumin gives this hummus an earthy, smokey flavour.
Here are some other tasty variations of the traditional recipe:
- Use roasted garlic instead of raw garlic.
- Add puréed sweet potato, carrots, pumpkin, beets or roasted red pepper.
- Garnish with some fresh sumac for an extra kick of flavour.
- Go green by adding sautéed kale or fresh spinach leaves.
- Substitute chickpeas with white navy beans.
- Add finely chopped sundried tomatoes or fresh tomato paste.
- Add some spice with chipotle, jalapeno or hot pepper flakes.
- Don’t have lemons on hand? Substitute with freshly squeezed lime juice.
- For an extra creamy hummus, add 1-2 ripe avocados.
Here are some serving suggestions for baby:
- As a dip with raw/steamed veggies such as carrots, red peppers, thinly sliced cucumber or chunks of cheese. (Perfect for baby-led weaning!)
- Alone by the spoonful or mixed with puréed chicken.
- Serve with grilled chicken or fish chopped into small pieces.
- As a spread in sandwiches, tortillas or pita wraps.
- With homemade pita chips, crackers or toasted bread, cut into cubes.