Turmeric. It’s highly likely you’ve heard of it, especially with all the hype it’s been getting as of late. We’ve all heard that it’s a super food, but how often do we incorporate it into our diets? Have you ever wondered what is it about this herb that makes it so special? Read on to learn more about its many health benefits, plus get tips on 10 ways to use turmeric daily.
Turmeric has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine to treat a number of conditions. This vibrant yellow herb has made its way into mainstream North American cuisine and has become one of the most regarded spices on the market, It’s been hailed for its ability to prevent anything from the common cold to cancer.
Curcumin, its main active ingredient has powerful anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial effects. It is known to help fight chronic inflammation, stimulates blood flow and detoxifies the blood, relieves gas, works wonders for the skin, and its phytonutrients contribute to elevating mood – just to name a few. Turmeric can be found in the spice aisle of any supermarket however, to ensure optimal quality always buy high qualtiy, organic turmeric or fresh turmeric root from the produce section of your local grocer.
Here are 10 ways to use turmeric daily:
- Use it as a natural tooth whitener
- Get youthful glowing skin with a tumeric face mask
- Add it to a green protein smoothie
- Make a soothing, anti-inflammatory tea
- Add it to rice bowls
- Toss it with roasted vegetables
- Add it in soups and stews
- Make a vibrant marinade
- Use it in any baked goods
- Add a pinch to brighten salad dressing
- Buy the root whole and juice it with your greens
- Make golden milk or a golden milk smoothie